After conducting some research in the local area, Mary Maxfield has uncovered some interesting statistics have come to light which include the Whitehill and Kidsgrove area. It is interesting looking back at these statistics how the area has changed over time.
J J Nelson Clerk to the Council. Mr Nelson was a local solicitor. Meeting held at Nelson and Steele on Hooks Stores. Presumably Hooks Stores was a local shop in Market Street.
- Date of inaugration - 1894
- First Chairman - E H Griffiths, another local solicitor
- Town Hall built 1897 at a cost of £2,250.
- 1894 Population 4013
- 1901 Population 4551, acreage 1082
- Wolstanton Rural District Council constituted an Urban District Council.
- 1904 Parish of Newchapel and part of Goldenhill transferred to Kidsgrove UDC.
- 1904 Population 8527, acreage 2911, number of houses 1689
- 1911 Census Population 9012, number of houses 1878
- 1913 Census Population 9421, number of houses 1957
- 1918 Council houses in course of construction, 68 completed. 505 applicants for Council houses.
- 1921 Site of Red Bull Sewage Works obtained.
- 1921 Census Population 9491, number of houses 2037, acreage 3114, 200 Council houses completed of modified scheme of 210.
- 1922 152 acres transferred to Stoke. Acreage 2962
- 1924 Red Bull Sewage Works opened.
- 1924 Woodshutts Estate, Butt Lane, 210 Council houses completed.
- 1932 Census Population 10,070. Number of houses 2331, acreage 2962. Council used to contribute to Bradwell Isolation Hospital.
- 1932 Portion of Audley Urban District Council was transferred to KidsgroveUDC parishes transferred Talke and Butt Lane. Gains 5,100 population and 1133 acres.
- 1934 scheduled as Distressed Area.
- Unemployed men 48%, women 25%, boys 9%, girls 25%
- 1935 2,000 unemployed.
- 1935 Pre War houses buillt at Sands Road, Harriseahead Lae, Whitehill Terrace and Talke Pits, OAP bungalows at Third Avenue and old Woodshutts Estate, Butt Lane completed.
- Post War - Kidsgrove UDC headed league for building Council houses.
- 1946-1958 - 1253 Council houses, 376 private.
- 1953-1955 - 450 National Coal Board houses
- 1955-1956 - 50 Kingsway Housing Association houses.
- 1958-1973 - 301 Council houses, 1655 private.
- Council house improvement scheme commenced 1972.
- 1958 Kidsgrove UDC were was one of the first authorities to reclaim and landscape pit mounds, eg Goldenhill Bank.
- 1964 Swimming baths project first put forward, commenced 1972.
- 1973 Ski slop opened.
- 1973 Boats purchased and launched Bathpool.
Up to date population and housing to be investigated.
You can download and print off a version of the timeline to display and keep by clicking here.