Adverts on Site

A place where you can learn about any updates to Whitehill Online. We will also post here if we are planning to do any upgrades that may limit your use of Whitehill Online.

Moderator: SteveL

Adverts on Site

Postby Editor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:19 am

I am sure that you have noticed the adverts that are now on the site. This is something that we have managed to avoid for the past 10 years, however the costs of running such a growing and high traffic website mean that we need to look to sources of income to cover costs.

We have tried to keep the number of adverts to a minimum, however also ensure they are effective. We hope you understand why we have made this move and hopefully you will agree it does not damage your user experience.

If you have any thoughts, comments or suggestions, please share them with us.
Bob
Editor
Editor

Re: Adverts on Site

Postby Gordon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Not done a bad job with this. I'm surprised its been advert free for this long.
Gordon
Forum Member

Postby SteveL » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:30 pm

It's not unreasonable to have some adverts to help fund the site and I'm quite used to forum pages being topped and tailed by ads and with ads in sidebars...but those really intrusive ones that sit in the middle of a thread trying to look like normal posts and destroying the flow of the thread are a step too far for me. I visit a fair few forums including some that have vastly more traffic than this and I can't think of a single other one that needs horrors like that. Ah well it was good while it lasted.

Steve
SteveL

Postby Editor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:56 pm

SteveL wrote:It's not unreasonable to have some adverts to help fund the site and I'm quite used to forum pages being topped and tailed by ads and with ads in sidebars...but those really intrusive ones that sit in the middle of a thread trying to look like normal posts and destroying the flow of the thread are a step too far for me. I visit a fair few forums including some that have vastly more traffic than this and I can't think of a single other one that needs horrors like that. Ah well it was good while it lasted.

Steve

I was expecting these to be quite controversial and I have to admit that I have been in two minds over these. I had a look at other forums and some were presenting adverts within posts, something that I thought my fit a little better than a bar at the top of the site. That said, my initial idea was a smaller advert to be displayed in the thread, however this hasn't been possible and like you I have been questioning if the advert actually damages, rather than helps this section of the site?

I will experiment later with some other advertising positions as I think you have made a real valid point Steve.
Bob
Editor
Editor

Postby Editor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:13 pm

I have made some changes and removed the in topic advert. We now have an advert at both the top and bottom of each forum page.

I think this is an improvement as the in forum adverts were not adding anything to the site.
Bob
Editor
Editor

Postby Julie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:10 pm

I think like Steve I accept that adverts are part of websites these days and used to cover costs. At the moment seems fairly reasonable to me as I never saw these other adverts that people are talking about. Some of the products advertised look quite interesting and I've clicked on a few ads.
Julie
Forum Member

Return to Website News